If you’re going through Vergel, keep on movin’…

For my country fans (Annie, Maura, Kourtney, Cassidy, Emily, etc.) thank you for appreciating that lyric. If not, get with it! It’s Rodney Atkins! Hehe SO yesterday I decided to go check out Palmar, my hub “town.” It has the essential things, grocery store, copy place, 15 different shoe stores, and 3 chinese food restaurants. Go figure. Actually, there are lots of “chinos” down here. However, most places were closed down, due in part to it being Sunday but also because it was ELECTION DAY! I sat in front of the T.V. last night following the Election Day news, surely making my “real” parents proud. (And yes, I said “real” parents. It’s now something we volunteers have to distinguish between, especially when we have our Orosi families to include as well.) So congrats, Laura Chinchilla and Costa Rica, first female presidente! My Vergel family wasn’t too crazy about it because they were voting for Otto Guevara, who came in 3rd after Otton Solis. Something interesting to point out, all the candidates have “banderas” or flags that represent them. And the people fly them EVERYWHERE! Every single candidate starts with one. They are really simple, more simple than the Obama “yes we can” image, but they represent that candidate whenever you see it. Dad… we could be onto something really big here. We’ll talk. Anyways, yesterday, had I been wearing red and yellow Otton t-shirt, or a teal “Laura: Firma y honesta” t-shirt I may have gotten a ride anywhere I needed to go. Instead, I played it safe and took the bus. Ha. Probably would have had better luck with getting a ride from a stranger. After I was done roaming around Palmar Norte I hopped on the 12pm bus back home. I told the bus driver “Escuela Vergel” in my best Spanish and took a seat on the back of the bus near the door. I knew it was only a few kilometers away. Yup. Only a few kilometers cause there it went…SHIT! Alright don’t panic. Just need to go ask the driver what happened. Because the bus is so crowded I have to wait until we stop. So, at the next stop I say “Escuela Vergel?” in my best questioning Spanish, with the shoulder shrug WT taught us to use in case of confusion. Oh it’s way back there you say. Hmm. Why? Oh you thought I knew what it looked like and would have pressed the buttom. I see. Oh I should get off here at the side of the road and wait for the next bus going the other way. Gotcha. VERHELL NO! This is what I learned to not do in my orientation. Okay, sir, will you drop me off in Curre? I have a friend there (which isn’t true cause he’s at the beach) but I figured at least I was a little familiar with it and if the fit hit the shan and no buses came by, I would be able to stay at Will’s house in Curre. Oh thanks sir. I’m gonna go back to my seat. So I go back to my spot in the back of bus near the door again. 5 minutes pass and this nino comes looking for me. Yes little kid, I want to go to Curre now. It was Vergel but now it’s Curre. You want me to give you what? 300 more cause I missed my stop? Out of my way, twiglet. So, I stomp towards the front of the bus. Mr. busdriver you missed my stop. Sorry, I don’t really understand what you’re saying. No, I asked for Escuela Vergel first. You didn’t stop. No, I didn’t push the button cause this is my second day I don’t know what it looks like. NO I’m not gonna pay the 300 colones, sorry, this is your fault not mine. Please let me off at Curre. And after a 2 hour wait in Curre I made it back to Escuela Vergel. WOOHOO! Success! My first trip into town and my first act of defiance in Spanish! I was pretty proud of myself. So was my family apparently. Hehe they boosted about it to the neighbors. I am a feisty gringa, better recognize. “Real” Mom and Dad, aren’t you proud?
0 Responses