Apparently I know nothing...

Colleen, another fabulous WorldTeach volunteer had traveled from La Isla de San Vito to experience El Festival del Rio. “Isla de San Vito, que frio.” “Es muy frio alli, si?” “Oh en San Vito es mas frio de aqui.” Ticos have a way of comenting on the weather, no matter what it is or how common place it might be. It could be the same temperature every day, and still someone will comment “Hace mucho calor hoy.” “Que calor, teacher, si?” Same as yesterday, still really hot, but sure, “Que calor!” Anyways, I had heard really fun things about the festival and put out the word to the other volunteers to show up if they were able. Colleen emailed and said she was happy to join me in the festivities… or what I had heard were the “festivities.”
“Apparently there is a big platform they build out on the river and people can go out there and hang out and dance and it’s supposed to be a lot of fun.” Nope no such platform existed.
“I also heard that it is supposed to be a great representation of the native culture here in Palmar.” Nope, strike two.
“My host dad said it starts Thursday night, continues Friday night, and then Saturday and Sunday all day.” Finally, this one seem to be true since by 9:15 my family had abandoned us.
It was about 9 or so when Colleen arrived and the whole family was there to greet her. “Hola, como se llama?” “Que?” “Culeen?” “Bueno, mucho gusto, Culeen.” I took her on a “tour” of the town, which could not have taken more than 20 minutes considering the size of this place. But when we returned the entire family had left, save one host brother! “Lock the door when you leave, teacher.” “Donde esta la familia, Negro?” (Have I mentioned yet that my host brother’s name is Negro? En serio. I shutter to my liberal core every time I have to say his name.) “La familia esta en Palmar.” Wow, that was quick, everyone left for the festival already. Well Negro (*shudder*) said the next bus comes at 10. We’ll just wait for that one. 1030 rolls around and finally the bus arrives – with a surprise! Will is sitting on the bus! He waves and we head over, chatting about the morning’s news of the Chile earthquake. A few minutes later and we’re there, ready for La Fiesta! Will is heading to Dominical but his bus doesn’t leave till 1 so he decides to check out the festival too. And so we walk… to where a festival should be. STRIKE THREE! YOU’RE OUT! Festival starts at 3 in the afternoon…
And so we return home for lunch…shortly after running into my host family in Palmar who reaffirmed what we had been told about the festival was true by saying, “Why are you here so early, teacher, the festival always starts at 3 in the afternoon.” ALWAYS?! Hah! Must have forgotten that the last time I was living here in Costa Rica!
0 Responses